Current:Home > NewsMajor movie theater chains unveil $2.2 billion plan to improve 'cinematic experience' -FutureFinance
Major movie theater chains unveil $2.2 billion plan to improve 'cinematic experience'
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:37:35
Your local movie theater might soon be undergoing some major changes.
The eight largest movie theater chains in the United States and Canada announced last week plans to invest more than $2.2 billion in the next three years in an effort to upgrade entertainment experiences at the facilities.
The announcement came in a news release from the National Association of Theatre Owners last Thursday. The organization represents theater owners from around the world and said the eight chains involved in the commitment represent over 21,000 screens across 1,600 locations in all 50 states and Canada.
The eight companies that reported to the theater owners association include AMC, Regal Cinemas, Cinemark, Cineplex, Marcus Theatres Corp., B&B Theatres, Harkins Theatres and Santikos Entertainment.
The investment comes as the movie theater industry has been hampered by the boom of streaming services like Netflix and Hulu, as well as the COVID-19 pandemic that prompted theaters to shut down for months.
What will the money be used on?
According to the theater owners association, the funds will be used on an "array of projects to modernize and improve theaters of all sizes," including adding the latest laser projection technology and immersive sound systems, installing more comfortable seats, and creating "family entertainment" options such as arcades and bowling.
Other projects the funds could be used for include upgrading air conditioning, lighting, signage and carpeting at the theaters.
“There is no question that movie fans of all ages love heading to the local theatre to see great movies on the big screen. But the competition for consumers’ hard-earned dollars is fiercer than ever,” said National Association of Theatre Owners President & CEO Michael O’Leary in the news release.
“Going to the theatre is an unparalleled entertainment experience, and exhibitors are dedicated to making every visit to their theatres memorable. This investment reflects that commitment in a tangible way that every moviegoer will see and enjoy,” O'Leary added.
“This investment of resources is the next step in our industry’s ongoing commitment to ensuring that going to the theatre remains a unique and special experience for generations to come," said National Association of Theatre Owners Executive Board Chair and CEO of B&B Theatres, Bob Bagby, in the announcement.
Gabe Hauari is a national trending news reporter at USA TODAY. You can follow him on X @GabeHauari or email him at [email protected].
veryGood! (221)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Feds penalize auto shop owner who dumped 91,000 greasy pennies in ex-worker's driveway
- 7-year-old accidentally shoots and kills 5-year-old in Kentucky
- Chilli Teases Her Future Plans With Matthew Lawrence If They Got Married
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- South Dakota Warns It Could Revoke Keystone Pipeline Permit Over Oil Spill
- Joe Alwyn Steps Out for First Public Event Since Taylor Swift Breakup
- Horoscopes Today, July 23, 2023
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- The Kids Are Not Alright
Ranking
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Eli Lilly says an experimental drug slows Alzheimer's worsening
- Taxpayers no longer have to fear the IRS knocking on their doors. IRS is ending practice.
- More gay and bisexual men will now be able to donate blood under finalized FDA rules
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- If you're 40, it's time to start mammograms, according to new guidelines
- South Dakota Warns It Could Revoke Keystone Pipeline Permit Over Oil Spill
- Titan submersible maker OceanGate faced safety lawsuit in 2018: Potential danger to passengers
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
This Oil Control Mist Is a Must for Anyone Who Hates Sweaty and Shiny Skin
Climate Change Threatens 60% of Toxic Superfund Sites, GAO Finds
Will artificial intelligence help — or hurt — medicine?
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Brittany Snow Hints She Was “Blindsided” by Tyler Stanaland Divorce
Federal Agency Undermining State Offshore Wind Plans, Backers Say
Let's go party ... in space? First Barbie dolls to fly in space debut at Smithsonian museum